This may be a borderline appreciation post. In the past few weeks, I have heard from several people in my past…
- Someone wanting to talk through some frustration he is facing at his new company.
- Someone excitedly highlighting being asked to speak and contribute to published materials.
- Someone just sending a group selfie photo (I believe to make me jealous that I’m not there too)
- Someone needing help reviewing/updating his resume.
- Someone reaching out to try to organize a get together happy hour.
This is just an example of the various occasional contacts that I receive from people that I once worked with. To say that I’m grateful would be a vast understatement. I’ll try to explain why this means so much.
No matter how much time has passed. We built relationships that stand the test of time. I’m very proud that people know that I would welcome the contact and it’s not putting me out at all. I was genuine when I said “always”; so every time, I feel like I’m able to fulfill that commitment.
Then there is the aspect of getting to know where they are today – what’s new, what’s happening, successes, challenges, all of it. I get to still celebrate as you accomplish things and I get to still help you as you face the next hurdle.
Now add in that personally, I feel valued and appreciated. As I don’t have a team directly right now, these connections are a very important part of keeping my purpose/balance in place.
I truly believe I get more out of these connections then the person reaching out – so thank you from the bottom of my heart! Guess it was an appreciation post after all.