- Have them discuss something (in pairs, at the table, etc) regarding the topic. You only have to get one question/instruction out and then the attention is no longer on you, which will give your body time to relax a little.
- If you find you can’t even get that instruction out, create a slide with the question/instruction. Then you can simply welcome or even point to the slide to get them started. Again the attention will be off you for a few minutes.
- While the attention is not on you, walk around. Movement gets oxygen to the brain and allows you to relax. Even take a couple slow deep conscious breaths to help increase the oxygen.
- If you don’t want to start with an exercise, have the first paragraph of your material memorized. I don’t recommend scripting everything. However, practice in a mirror th pace, volume, and words that you want to begin with. Have these flow as if second nature.
- Have water nearby but do not, I repeat do not touch the water in the first five minutes. Why? Because if you are shaking, the water is going to spill everywhere – on you and be very noticeable to the audience, which may make you more nervous
Please like & share: